Activity promoting respect
1. Prepare as many cards as there are students in the class. Divide the cards into four groups and indicate the individual groups with the words “pears”, “apples”, “plums”, “bananas”.
2. Sit the students in a circle.
3. Each student draws one card.
4. Check if all of them know which group they belong to.
5. Collect the cards from the students and throw them into a box or a hat.
6. Then draw the cards one by one and announce the group drawn.
7. All who belong to the announced group move one place to the right. If the chair is already taken, the student sits on a lap of the sitting student.
8. If a student who belongs to the groups that was drawn has another student sitting on his/her lap, he/she must not move, i.e. only those sitting on top or on a chair alone can move.
9. The activity continues this way until the first student returns to on his/her initial chair.
10. Reflect on this activity.
How this resource relates to Shaping Characters objectives
- Attitudes and attributes
- Education techniques
- Motivation and resilience
Allowing the students mutual contact and experience
Cards for each student, indicated as follows: pears, apples, plums, bananas; box/hat
What could have been done differently or is planned for future repeats?
Keeping the rules. If several students are to sit on top of each other, allow standing one beside another. Monitor how the students sit on their classmates’ laps.